If you primarily speak English, please go here.
Si tu idioma principal es el castellano, por favor, haz clic aquĆ­.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Venus Flytrap

This entry may be even less interesting than the others. It's not directly related to videogames, either, unless you're thinking of Super Mario or Plants VS Zombies (er, like me).

I recently bought a Venus Flytrap (Dionaea Muscipula, it cost me a mere 5€ in a Verdecora here in Madrid if you're interested). Cute little bugger, really. They are somewhat picky regarding a couple of things though: any fertilizer or even tap water can kill them. Also, you need to put them into dormancy in the colder seasons (which I have, or am trying to), or they end up dying after about three years.

I was supposed to be even remotely original picking a name for it, but since I'm also unbeliebably lazy, we ended up calling it Audrey, the most obvious and least original name ever for a flytrap. :P

In any case, I started taking pics of it every three-four days.

Edit: I've removed the individual pics and instead replaced them with an animated GIF, which seems more entertaining (not to mention it lets one appreciate changes better). In later months, the GIF is great to see the cycle of dormancy/regrowth. Click the thumbnail to see full-size and animated.

November 2011 edit: I stopped updating the GIF some time ago, as it was a quite time-consuming task. Audrey seems to have reached the maximum size for that pot, but transplanting it could prove somewhat difficult, as the peat moss carnivorous plants need is not easy to come by in Madrid at this time, for some reason...